Friday, June 08, 2007

Book Club part 2

Has anyone read/started reading the book for May? (Dearest Friend) I've had a hard time getting into it and quite a few of our book club members have called and expressed concerns about not reading all/any of the book. Have you had the same problem?
Our club meeting is tonight and we'll discuss the book even though many of us haven't made it all the way through. I think it will still make for some interesting discussion.
I was thinking--if any of you have read the book--i'll post the discussion questions on Monday and we can all give our input then. That will give you the weekend to get a little more reading done so you can contribute if you'd like. Hopefully it won't be super boring--I don't want everyone to quit after only the first month. Up till now every book we've read has been pretty awesome so hopefully in the future the books will be a little bit more engaging.
Oh, one other thing. My sister, Jaci, is a fan of our blog. She stops in and reads because she thinks we're funny and cool sometimes. She never comments because she says she feels like "an intruder and a spy." But she is going to be reading the books along with us too, so she may want to comment occasionally-so don't be alarmed.

6 comments:

k8theriver said...

i didn't read it. i didn't realize we were settled on a book. but i will next month.
and jaci doesn't have to feel guilty. if a blog is open to the public its free game. i've read all your personal/family blogs.

heat said...

I started it but that's all.

angerine said...

I thought I sucked because I only made it 120 pages into the book--but found out at our meeting that most of the other girls had read less than 50 pages--one chick only read 3 pages!! So apparently it was boring and not a good book to start off with. We had a very interesting conversation anyway, because the books deals with themes like motherhood, childrearing philosophies, relationships, depression, female ambition, etc. Lots of relevant topics. I can post them if you want, but sounds like maybe we should just forget about discussion this time around?
The book for June is "The Alchemist" (suggested by Heather). We'll shoot for discussion on July 9 or 10-ish?

sra. pistola said...

I couldn't find the Alchemist at any library in the county. They were all out. So I ordered it today on line. I also ordered the last and final harry potter book. Matt said that the Alchemist was what inspired he and Kendall to go to back pack South America. Also as a side note. The easiest way to get the pit out of an avacado is to hit the pit lightly but sharply with a really sharp knife and then unskrew the pit and take it out. I've always just tried to dig it out with a spoon.

Ang said...

I didn't read it either - and it did sound boring. The Alchemist sounds more interesting to me - so I'll shoot for that one. Plus the word itself is pretty cool.

I actually spoon the avacodo out of the skin (which works really well), and then slice it around the pit - but that technique sounds effective.

sra. pistola said...

I started reading the ALchemist because I thought I would need to start it now in order to get threw it before Harry potter comes out in July. But as it turns out I'm already almost done with the book. It's pretty short and it is really good so I just keep reading it whenever I can. I'v already started my own little discussion with Matt about it. It's fun stuff.