Friday, October 26, 2007

3 fears

in no particular order:
1. one of my kids getting cancer (or some other terminal disease). basically, the death of a child. it would really suck if it was caused by me--backing over them, not watching them near water...the guilt would be horrible. but watching a kid suffer through cancer is something i fear.
2. getting migrains. i get maybe 3 headaches a year. they are usually caused by a tense neck and go away quickly after taking a painkiller. but my dad gets migrains and it doesn't look fun.
3. crashing a car into water with my kids in the car. i think of this everytime we drive past a river. and many other random times. i have gone through it in my mind so many times. dan would get chloe because she is the heaviest and he swims better. i would hold onto the kid's shirt and hope it stayed on...would we be able to get the carseat straps undone fast enough? now that we have 3 kids it would be impossible so whenever i start to think about it i have to stop myself. i feel like i might have a panic attack. my heart really starts beating faster. i used to tell myself to not worry, it will never happen. until this story was on the news:

Capt. Guy Adams, Carbon County Sheriff's Office: "The vehicle started to slide and they unbuckled the kids from the inside of the vehicle. The wall of water come down and it just started to roll, they were just reaching for kids, and trying to find what they could. And it just so happens the one-year old didn't get picked up."

am i crazy? is it normal to worry about things like this? make me feel better--everyone tell what your 3 biggest fears are.

5 comments:

heat said...

I always think about rolling down the car windows in that situation. I heard that the pressure of the water won't allow you to open the doors.

Most of my fears concern my family and death. It would suck to lose Wellz or Asa. I know there was a time in my life that I lived without them but life wasn't as beautiful.

I think your worries are justified.
I think it is normal to worry about certain things. You are not crazy. Maybe borderline "worry wort" but not crazy.

Anonymous said...

I have the same car in water fear. When we lived in vail and had to drive the canyon I always thought about it. Terrifying!

One of my children being kidnapped. I would rather them die and be happy in the spirit world than not know where they are and what is happening to them.

My house on fire and the flames blocking me from my children.

This next one isn't really a fear but it is not normal to always think it. Whenever I see an old man (and if I do not know this old man really really well) talking to a child I always think he could be a pedafile. The other day I was watching Davey Crocket and there was an old man (no children even around) and I was thinking that the actor might be a pedafile.

Another random thought that passes through my mind.... Whenever I am in a restraunt, on a bus, or in any relativley close area with lots of people i don't know I always think about how we are all living our lives and going through different things trying to be happy and that we won't even talk to eachother or remember this moment. but we did share that space together. If we were to be taken hostage in that area then it would change. I watch too much 24 where random people in ordinary situations are forced to acknowledge eachother.

Erica Onelove said...

My husband's sister had two children die in the bathtub at the same time. She walked away for 2 minutes & left them with the older child in the tub. When she came back they were gone. (The older child said that he saw a man come get them & told him not to worry....makes me cry!)

She literally went crazy for a long time although she still had 3 other kids to worry about.

My biggest fears are:
*losing a child (obviously)
*being torchered to death (I really think this is the way I'll die)
*being in a tight space not being able to get out (I'm super claustropobic)

k8theriver said...

that is a crazy story, erica. any idea how old the kids were?

Erica Onelove said...

I do K8. They had just adopted a baby so they had two close to the same age. They were under 2.

She does blame herself & still is a bit crazy. She locked herself in her basement for 4 months straight!(It happened 8 years ago). I'm super sensitive to this subject because I'm so close to her.

She had an older child in the bath with them (4 years old), and walked away to answer the phone.

It is probably the worst thing I've ever heard of. She is a fantastic mom & always was! She is the strongest woman I know. I don't know if I could live through that.