Saturday, April 25, 2009

what's for dinner?

I am stuck in a food rut lately. I have 3 or 4 things that I can think of to eat for dinner and they're all boring or gross (soup, sandwich, burrito, chicken & rice) but I can't seem to come up with anything else. I'll make a shopping list and won't be able to think of any ingredients aside from my 4 standard meals. I'll spend $180 at the grocery store and get home and think, "We've still got nothing to eat."
I do nothing all day long but preparing one meal is beyond my capacity. Tye will get home and start looking for something to eat and ask if I had anything in mind for dinner. Inevitably I'll be like, 'Oh, uhhhhhh, I had a bowl of cereal like half an hour ago so I'm not really hungry.' Or he'll say 'Let's go out, I'll take you anywhere you want' but there is not a single place that sounds good enough to me to justify putting on shoes and a jacket. (ha, as i'm reading that part it sounds like a case of depression. probably a result of my life sentence.)
So maybe you can help me mix it up a bit. I need some food inspiration. What are the default meals you feed your family?

6 comments:

LoGunns said...

My number one default dinner is chicken butter curry. Albertsons has this perfect package of curry paste and you just add butter, water, and chicken. Simmer for 25 minutes and you got dinner. We always add vegetable to it. Oh it goes over rice. Delicious. Easy.

k8theriver said...

you've been a good blogger--i had given up on it.
i hate to cook. hate it. everything about it (well, not the eating part).
our default dinners are basically, costco. salmon, orange chicken (all natural and chloe's favorite), potstickers and edemame. also, taco salad or tacos.

heat said...

Trader Joe's has Thai sauces and Indian sauces that are pretty good. You add meat. Very basic. We stock up every time we go to Vegas.
Also, we always have pasta, garlic, olive oil and onions. I like to chop up the garlic and cook it in olive oil then add cayenne. Or, if I have heavy cream I add that to make a white sauce. If we have sun-dried tomatoes or pesto I make that the main sauce. My favorite is adding fresh tomatoes to the garlic then topping with sliced mozzarella. Like margherita pizza but pasta. Cook the onions in butter until they become caramelized before adding things to it. This is one of my favorite smells.
As for eating out, try Benja's Thai. Or drive to Springdale to eat at Parallel 88.
Want to come over for dinner? I'd love to see you guys.

angerine said...

Mmmmm, thanks for good ideas, this helps.
Yes, heather we totally want to come for dinner. In fact this whole post was just a trick to get you to invite us over. I would love to see you guys too!

sarah said...

ang, if you're serious i have a whole slew of ideas that are usually, make a meat on monday a different one on tuesday and then rotate meals through the week that are a spin off of these two meats. i have it down to a science, i can forward my notes if you want. mike doesn't ask for a lot, but he sure stomps his foot about dinners (which honestly is the hardest part of being a "wife". i hate cooking!) let me know if you want the notes/recipes.

angerine said...

yes, please sarah send me your notes!:) that would be awesome. i've gotta mix it up a bit.