Friday, May 04, 2007

Lili Anderson

Last weekend I attended two conferences here in St. Louis put on by Lili Anderson and her husband. Wow. She is a great speaker--entertaining and inspiring--I learned SO much in just a few hours about the role of women/mothers and men/fathers, the foundation and importance of the family, the plan of salvation, having an eternal perspective...and a bunch of other good stuff.
She teaches at BYU and also speaks at Women's Conferences, Stake Conferences, devotionals, etc. Have any of you ever heard her speak?

For you Utahns, she puts on frequent seminars in Draper (price is a little steep for my budget) or you can go to her website and buy her presentations on CD. I'm going to buy the 3-CD set (it's only $25). I've heard two of the three presentations on the CD's but it's something that I need to hear over and over, plus I want to share it with my parents and siblings. Some of the PowerPoints from her presentations are online, but they don't make sense if you don't hear her insights/stories that go along with each slide.

Anyhoo, maybe you can talk your hubbies into getting you the CD's as a Mother's Day gift--I highly recommend it.

5 comments:

heat said...

Would you recommend the CD's for a mother-in-law?

Loose said...

Tell me a little more about what she speaks on sounds interesting. Hey did your book club pick any of our suggestions?

angerine said...

Ya, I think they'd be great for a mother-in-law; any adult member of the church would learn something from it, IMO (possibly a non-member would get a little lost).
Lili has a Masters & a PhD in Marriage/Family/Human Devel. so her presentations focus on what the world teaches regarding family/motherhood versus the Plan that God has laid out. She gives lots of social statistics about what has happened to society since the family unit started to crumble. She identifies several 'worldly' perspectives (that I hadn't even realized I myself was guilty of believing) and contrasts them with the pure gospel as taught in the scriptures. Powerful.
In another presentation about stress management she talks about our trials on earth. She talks about how some of our challenges are of our own making, some are "just drama" and some are "the refiners fire"--stuff that we have to get through to make it to the C.K. It's about keeping an eternal perspective and loving yourself and forgiving yourself for your failures.
This is a reallllly long comment, sorry.

angerine said...

oh, our book club meets Friday to find out which books got picked--I'll let you know.
Last night I saw a girl from the club who said that after reading the suggestion (includes synopsis) she was so interested in reading "the alchemist" that she didn't want to wait to find out, so she just read it and totally loved it!
I am about 100 pages from finishing "follow the river" and am convinced that I am the biggest WUSS in the world. That lady is amazing.
And I also just finished "the book thief" and thought it was one of the best/most original books I've read in ages. Tye and I read it together & now he keeps calling me "saumensch" and "arschgrobbler" and other funny german swear words.

heat said...

Ang, each month you could let us know which books you are reading and we could read along...like our own little blog book club.
How's the air guitar number coming along?