Thursday, January 10, 2008

Baby Names

when i was at the gunn's my prego friend came over. they haven't decided on a name so danika and i started spurting off names. i've always been interested in names. when the sears catalogue would come at Christmas time i would make a list of my pretend family--usually about 8 kids mostly boys--give them names and then shop for them. little did i know how incapable i would be of mothering 8 kids. who knew it took energy and patience. and being pregnant.
anytime i had a crush or dated a guy i would try out my favorite names with their last names. even if i had no intention of being serious. i've kept lists of names in my journals. in 92 i had grant and andrew but later crossed that off because i started dating andy. in 94 i had hank and ethan (this was before the mad rush to name your boy that), chandler (friends?), tabitha. in 96 i had stella and hazel (temple view r.v.). i pretty much stuck with stella and fred and even ran them by dan before we got married. he said they were fine...until i got prego and he nixed stella. i was VERY upset. seriously, it caused tension in our marriage. it was hard picking a name for chloe. dan didn't like any i liked. like evie. i liked clover too (it came to me while in the temple--hello, revelation!?) but a lot of people had started naming their kids river and other in-tune-with-nature names so i was afraid of being grouped with the hippies. i've tried to get dan to let me change her name to clover-- he could still call her chloe--but he won't let me. her middle name is belen. i heard it on my mission. it means bethlehem.
delivering chloe was not fun so before i got prego again i made dan promise to let me have naming rights. i was happy to have a girl so i could use the name stella. the day i found out i was having a girl i read a magazine that predicted stella as the up-coming popular name. lame. her middle name is kate.
and fred. when i was in highschool i saw an episode of oprah (weird, i don't care much for her). she had on this society, nation-wide club thingy of guys named fred. there was a cute little toddler. that's when i realized a cute kid (or one with a good personality) could get away with any name. and since my gpa is a legend to his bazillion grand and great-grandkids, i decided i would name a kid after him. but of course when i finally have a boy its becoming popular to give your kid a grandpa name. for the record, even though it appears that i'm following the trends, i'm actually ahead of them. we had a really hard time deciding on a middle name. we made a huge list. each of us chose 5 and then we gave them a score of 1-10. everett came in 2nd with owen and maddox tied for 1st. i let dan make the final choice. fred maddox. (he didn't know it was a celebrity baby name so he wasn't following a trend. ) if he was a girl i liked petra and dan suggested olive. which surprised me because its a good name and he hates olives. our next boy (through adoption) will be named clive.
heather, do you have names picked out? anyway, what names do you guys like or why did you choose the ones you used? stake your claim here.
sorry for the long post...one last thing. according to the howmanyofme.com site there are only 2 katie lariviere's. and very few boys named sue.

11 comments:

LoGunns said...

Abraham Bunting Gunn- because I like the name Abe a lot (so does Matt) Matt's family did not like the name. Bunting is my grandfathers middle name (Attewall Bunting Robinson) everyone called him A.B.

Lia Mae Gunn- we were going to name her Liahona and just always call her Lia. Some of Matt's family made a huge stink about it so we didn't. For the record I still like it. My moms name is Leona and when you pronounce Liahona in spanish it sounds like leona. Mae because it's my grandmas middle name.

Hazel Lee Gunn- because it's my Grandma's name and I love it. Lee is my middle name. Matt's family made a big stink about this name too but we stuck to our guns this time. Lee is my middle name.

Our next boy will be named Homer. It's Matt's dad's middle name. I've always really liked the name but would never let Matt use it because of Homer Simpson. But the more time goes by the less I care about it being associated with Homer Simpson. Specially since Matt's dad passed away.(one of the other brothers already named his son Spencer)
Ezra is also a favorite boy name.
for a girl...Rivka (Matt's dad always wanted to name a girl that)it is the hebrew form of Rebecca. And i would like to call her Rivi. I also like Zina (pronounce Z-eye-na not Zeena) It's my Aunt's name. I know there was like 2 other girl names we like but I can't think of them right now. one of my good friends here is named Noemi and i kinda like that too.

Ashlynn {mamabear} said...

I am choosing not to share our name until the baby is born ... too many opinions. :)

heat said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
heat said...

Oh, I share my name with 374.

Ginger said...

Heather, you do remember that I asked your permission to use the name Liddy. Right? It was your name and to thank you for the name her name is Liddy Ann- just like you, and she doesn't like meat much too.

heat said...

I guess I wasn't clear. I AM glad my sister used the name. Sorry, I didn't mean for it to sound like a bash.

LoGunns said...

0 have my full name.
Heat- remember when I guessed your baby's name on my first try? Honestly I don't ever remember hearing the name before. (I'm no bible scholar) No idea how the name popped into my head.

heat said...

Seriously Danika, you are so inspired.

Erica Onelove said...

Anavey's name is native American which I've mentioned before. I just dig the culture.

There are 81 erica jensen's in the U.S.

k8theriver said...

danika, i can't wait for you to have a homer. so cute. and homie is a sweet nickhame.
heather. i think i like lulu. and i like frances. didn't amanda pete just name a girl that? calls her frankie i think.

heat said...

I never thought about calling her Frankie.
I find out what I'm having on Thursday.