Saturday, March 17, 2007

EGG DONORS WANTED

I've been reading a lot about different "options" lately about "getting" your own child. I'm not searching it out. It just seems to be the headlines of everything I read. Maybe you all know about all of these options but they were surprising to me. Turns out you can get paid to donate your eggs. And not just a small sum of money. Like thousands of dollars. It's hot right now with the college girls. It's like a sperm bank for women. You have to give yourself hormone shots and stuff then you fill out a profile about yourself. The company posts your stats. Things like education, health, height, color of eyes, color of skin, career, etc. Then, next to your stats is a picture of you as a child. You can shop online. Sorry, I don't remember the site but you could google it if you are interested. The catch is woman are born with a certain amount of eggs. Your supply of eggs decreases with each menstral period until you run out of eggs. Which is why is it harder to get pregnant as you age. Another catch is the process is rather painful.
Another way to "get" your child is to send your egg and your husbands sperm to a woman in India. She will carry your child as a surrogate mother full term for $10,000. That kind of money to an Indian woman is an extrodinary amount of income. This option is cheaper than adoption, you never have to be pregnant, and the child still looks like the parents.
Turns out also that the technology for designing your child is almost here. You will be able to choose eye color, hair color, and make your kid smarter. This seems weird to me. I thought "no way" but I've been talking with other girls and they think it sounds sweet. One of my neighbors said "oh good, I've always wanted a girl with blond hair and big brown eyes." But she also said to me if she knew how difficult it would be for her to get pregnant she would have had a lot more "fun" in high school.
Wellz and I have been talking about adoption the last few years. Unlike Katie, I don't mind being pregnant. Our reasons for wanting to adopt would be because we couldn't have any more or we'd like to mix things up a bit :) Also, there are just so many kids without awesome lives. Surprisingly there are a lot of mixed race families in our neighborhood. That is something we have considered. I just read in the news Angelina Jolie adopted another kid from Vietnam. But that subject probably needs it's own post.
I like that people are adopting and talking about having more children. There was a time in my life that I didn't want any kids. Again, a subject for a whole post of it's own. Looks like now, however strange, there is a way for any woman to become a mother if that is her desire. Freak, any man for that matter.

7 comments:

k8theriver said...

i sound like an ungrateful jerk to all the people that can't get prego. but its not just that i hate being prego. its because i am grateful and feel bad for orphans. when my kids are older i think i'll be a foster parent. we'll see. i'm very interested in your brother's adoption (or any adoption).
i always thought picking out your child was weird but i'm pretty sure i would choose a boy if i could.

heat said...

Katie,I didn't mean to sound like I was attacking you. I think it's awesome you want to adopt and have more kids. I just think all the options are interesting.

By brother adopted through LDS adoptions. The paper work was intense but they got their girl within 6 months. THey met the birth parents and keep in touch through the agency. They have to send so many pictures and letters a month to the birth mother. The birth mom was only 15. With each child (4 boys)my sis-in-law has had a difficult time getting pregnant. She has twins from fertility. Then they adopted knowing they were DONE and still wanted a girl. She found out she was pregnant with another boy the week after the adoption. She had an IUD in. Now they have 6 kids.

Loose said...

Heat, do I understand correctly, you can't have anymore kids? Or that's just one reason you would adopt?

heat said...

Well, I'm not pregnant. Not being able to have more kids is one reason I would adopt. I'm hoping it's not THE reason to adopt.

sra. pistola said...

I wouldn't mind skipping the pregnancy part and haveing the lady in India get well paid to carry my child, but there is so much that happens to the childs development in the womb that I would be too worried to actualy let someone else take on that responsibility for me. Specialy someone I don't even know. But I guess that is already obvious.

heat said...

Sarah, I didn't realize you went through invitro. My sis-in-law tried it twice last year. She got pregnant on the second try. She said it was the most difficult thing she has ever done. She's been married 16 years. She adopted twice and now has a newborn from the invitro process. Really amazing what doctors can do.

Danika, how much longer until cute little Hazel comes out? Love that name by the way. My neighbor growing up had that name. She is still alive and almost 100 years old. She's awesome.

angerine said...

heather, i'm interested in knowing how you turned that corner from the time in your life when you didn't want kids. Like you said its a topic for a whole post of its own--so I'll be waiting...