Monday, March 26, 2007

Due Date

My due date is April 5th. (Phillup Fulton's wife is due on the same day with a girl as well) But here is the dilemma I am working on. I had Lia in 30 minutes. This time I am planning on having the baby at home. My midwife is awesome. She only lives 7 minutes from me so if she' home she could make it no problem to my house. But she also delivers in Salt Lake and other further places. Usually she doesn't induce labor unless it's been a week or two past the due date. But in my case she said she would do it a week early because I really want to make sure that she is here for the birth. (Matt doesn't want to deliver again either) But I am not a big fan of inducing labor. We have chosen Wednesday to try to get things going. She will strip my membranes (not the same as breaking my water) and then she massages my cervix (try not to visualize that one) every couple minutes to simulate labor until it starts up. Or I could just say never mind and let it happen when it does. Which would mean I could possibly end up with a substitute midwife that I don't know. I'm leaning toward Wednesday. Feel free to give me your opinions about whether or not I should have said cervix massage. That has potential to gross some people out.

4 comments:

k8theriver said...

that is a hard decision. i had a similar one to make with stella. i tried everything to start labor. a week after the due date i went in and they broke my water. that did the trick. when you say "start" you is she just using natural methods? i'd be fine with that. but i'm am so afraid of pitocin. i've heard so many stories of people going through labor with pitocin but never progressing and then having a c-section. good luck. its a hard one.

angerine said...

so wait, you can have your baby a week early AND get a luxurious massage at the same time? what's the downside?
Luckily I have no idea what/where a cervix is, so I'm not grossed out at all. I don't know anything about this topic (clearly) but I thought that when you had your membranes stripped it could still be a few days before labor started. A friend of mine had her membranes stripped on a Thursday and didn't go into labor until Monday. Maybe this cervix massage is the key to the whole thing? Does your midwife have a bunch of girls due around the same time as you? If it were my choice, I'd want to make sure I had the midwife I was comfortable with.

angerine said...

I was just thinking about what/where the hell a cervix is and it occurred to me maybe I haven't spent nearly enough time nude, squatting over a mirror. Name that quote.

k8theriver said...

i had my membranes striped with chloe-nothing. twice with stella--nothing. plus, castor oil, acupressure. i didn't try the cervix massage but it doesn't sound "luxurious". i had a hard time making the decision (i wanted a certain dr. to be on call). ultimately i made the decision by not making the decision. let us know how it goes.